Magical & Real: Henriette Wyeth & Peter Hurd, A Retrospective
June 16 - September 16, 2018
Patricia Gaylord Anderson, Entry & Spring River Galleries
- June 15, 5 - 7 pm: Opening Reception
- June 16 at 1 pm: Lecture by Kirsten M. Jensen: The Life and Work of Henriette Wyeth
- June 16 at 2 pm: Panel Discussion with Co-Curators Kirsten M. Jensen and Sara Woodbury
- June 30 at 2 pm: Lecture by Sara Woodbury: “This Ambition Which Haunts Me Every Moment: The Multifaceted Career of Peter Hurd”
- July 21 at 2 pm: Lecture by Christine Podmaniczky:
“The Wyeths of Chadds Ford”
- August 4 at 2 pm: Lecture by Melissa Renn: "An Enduring Record: Peter Hurd’s World War II Art for Life Magazine”
- August 18 at 2 pm: Lecture by Leo Mazow: “Windmills, Water, and the Art of Peter Hurd: Lecture and Concert”
Co-organized with the James A. Michener Art Museum in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, Magical & Real is the first scholarly exhibition to seriously consider the work of either artist in thirty years. The exhibition re-situates Wyeth and Hurd into the larger dialogue of American art in the 20th century, with the aim of broadening awareness of the entire scope of their work while grappling with the tensions that exist between the eastern and western arts communities. Magical & Real will include approximately 70 paintings, with works coming from private collections as well as public museums. The Roswell Museum and Art Center collection forms a substantial part of the show, underscoring the national significance of our holdings. An illustrated, scholarly catalogue will also accompany the exhibition.
With support from a grant by the New Mexico Humanities Council, the Museum is putting together a lecture series this summer in coordination with the exhibition. Topics to be explored include how the exhibition came together, biographies of the artists, an examination of their work and influences, the importance of place to the artists, as well as Wyeth’s artistic family. The exhibition combined with the lecture series, will connect audiences more closely with this significant collection. Dates and further details about the series will be available in May.
Magical & Real: Henriette Wyeth and Peter Hurd, A Retrospective is generously supported in great part by the RMAC Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Peter Hurd, Portrait of Gerald Marr, 1952, egg tempera on gesso and Masonite, 32 1/2 x 38 1/4 in., The Collection of the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, Percy Hagerman Memorial Fund, FA 1953.2
See PBS cultural series ¡COLORES! with episodes on Peter Hurd and Henriette Wyeth and featuring Curator of Collections and Exhibitions Sara Woodbury.
Link to Henriette Wyeth episode
Link to Peter Hurd episode
Henriette Wyeth, Portrait of Mrs. N.C. Wyeth, 1929, oil on canvas, 40 1/4 x 36 3/16 in, Brandywine River Museum of Art, Bequest of Carolyn Wyeth, 1996