To provide a comprehensive and integrated emergency management system that coordinates community resources to protect lives, property and the environment through mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery from all natural and man-made hazards that may impact our county.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate Emergency Management activities for Roswell/Chaves County including Dexter, Hagerman and Lake Arthur.
- Maintain and update the county's Emergency Operations Plan, Hazard Mitigation Plan and Hazards Vulnerability Analysis.
- Activate and staff the county Emergency Operations Center.
- Work with other county, city, town, departments, agencies and task force elements to develop a variety of related emergency plans, procedures and guidelines.
- Coordinate for local, state and federal government response and recovery operations during a major emergency or disaster.
- Maintain and operate the counties fixed - site and mobile Emergency Operations Center.
- Conduct community education in Chaves County to educate citizens of their ongoing role in preparing for emergencies through education, community outreach and training.
- Monitor severe weather watches, warnings and special statements issued by the National Weather Service and provide this information to other local government departments including public safety and public works agencies.
- Chair the Local Emergency Planning Committee.
- Provide assistance and support to all public safety agencies, government entities and private sector partners through planning, training and exercising.
- Coordinate resource support to tactical response units and on scene Incident Commanders.
- Provide Continuity of Operations Planning information and guidance.
- Administers homeland security grant distribution for Roswell, Chaves County, Dexter, Hagerman and Lake Arthur.
- Maintain outdoor warning sirens, which are checked the first Monday of the month at noon.
Learn about the outdoor warning sirens