Get Help with Income Taxes
Watch this space for alerts and announcements as the 2019 tax filing season gets underway!
Tips on Preparing for Tax Season
- The IRS provides a detailed rundown (for individual filers) on steps to take in getting ready for the 2019 tax filing.
News and Updates
► It has been announced that the Tax Filing Season began on January 28, 2019.
- The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on January 28 for both paper and electronic filings.
- The nation’s tax deadline will be April 15 this year – with taxpayers living in Maine and Massachusetts having until April 17, 2019 to file.
►Libraries participating in the IRS's Tax Form Order Program (TFOP) again will be providing printed tax forms (for tax year 2018) to customers during the 2019 tax season. Please be aware that the quantity and variety of available tax materials will be limited. The revised, core personal income tax forms will generally be available, but additional forms and instructions may not be offered.
The Roswell Public Library has Federal 1040 Income Tax Packets and New Mexico Personal Income Tax booklets available now (as of 2/11/2019). Both forms can be found in the Periodicals section.
Per communications from the IRS's Tax Forms Outlet Program (TFOP), the public can obtain copies of Instructions through:
• IRS.gov/Forms - to view and download
• IRS.gov/orderforms - to order tax products to be delivered by mail
• 1-800-829-3676 - to order tax products to be delivered by mail
► New Mexico State tax forms and instructions are available in a single booklet this year - the PIT Packet. When published and distributed, PIT booklets are generally available at your local District Office, the library, may be printed off the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue website, or can be requested for delivery via mail by calling (505) 827-2206. Updates to follow as tax season for the State of New Mexico opens.
Deadline for filing NM State tax returns and extensions is April 15, 2018.
El IRS en español
En el sitio web del IRS, usted encontrará recursos que le puedan ayudar en la preparación y declaración de sus impuestos – incluyendo:
- Información general
- Disposiciones Tributarias de la Ley de Cuidado de Salud para contribuyentes individuales, negocios pequeños y otras entidades
- Información sobre la Ley de Cuidado de Salud a Bajo Precio para contribuyentes individuales, negocios pequeños y otras entidades.
- Información sobre el servicio e-file del IRS
- Formularios y publicaciones
Online Forms, Instructions and Services
Download and print Federal forms, instructions and publications - plus tips on filing your materials, and details on returns.
File Federal returns electronically through an IRS eFile Service.
The MyFreeTaxes Partnership provides free state and federal tax preparation and filing assistance for qualified individuals. It’s easy, safe, secure and 100 percent free.
Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions
The Affordable Care Act was enacted on March 23, 2010 -- containing some tax provisions that took effect this year, as well as more that will be implemented during the next several years. Learn more about the general provisions now in effect, plus specifics for individuals and families.
Tips on Preparing for Tax Season
- The IRS provides a brief list of actions for individuals to take as they get ready for the 2018 tax filing.
- USA Today reports on 5 tax changes to be aware of in the upcoming filing year.
Check out the official YouTube channel of the Internal Revenue Service. Upload and play IRS videos on a variety of tax topics - including: understanding taxes, choosing a tax preparer, charitable contributions, mileage rates... and more!
Click here to see the options.