Residential Permits

Infographic on building permits
  1. Merideth Hildreth

    Planning & Zoning Administrator


Are you thinking about replacing your fence, installing a storage shed, building a carport, or widening your driveway? If so, and you live in the city, you likely need to obtain a permit. Please learn more about when a permit is required

You can find more information about permitting and other requirements for specific projects by reading the articles in the Community Development "Proper Permitting and Planning" series. 

Is a Permit Required?

Project Type
Building a fence
Painting home exterior  
Building or Installing a storage shed
Building or Installing a carport 
Home renovations or additions
Building a patio cover, gazebo, deck, pergola or porch
Building or installing a pool 
Simple landscaping (laying pavers or flower beds)  
Planting a garden  
Adding a sprinkler system for landscaping
Cutting a Curb, installing or replacing a sidewalk or drivepad
Plumbing Projects (i.e sewer, water conditioners, repairing drain, sprinkler systems, swimming pools, plumbing fixes) 

Permit Forms 

  • Fencing Permit : complete this form to apply for a fencing permit to install or complete major fence repairs. 
  • Building Permit: complete this form for renovations, remodels, additions or building of any kind. Examples of projects where a building permit is required include: storage sheds larger than than 200 sq. feet for residential property and large than 120 sq. feet for commercial property, patio covers, gazebos, decks, pergolas, porches, carports and pools. 
  • Re-roofing Application: complete this form if you are looking for re-roof installation. 
  • Homeowner's Plumbing Application: complete this form before beginning any plumbing jobs. 
  • Electrical Application: this form should be completed before any electrical work is done at any commercial or residential property. 
  • Conditional Use Multi-generational House Permit: complete this form to apply for a permit to have an additional living quarters (excluding a kitchen) on the same plot of land. 
  • Request for Land Development: this form should be completed to apply for a permit to complete a variety of projects. These include: sidewalks, curb cuts, drive pad, alley cut, monitoring wells, excavations (in streets, alleys and or/ easements and worksites), utilities, paving or parking spaces, landscaping (i.e sprinklers, fountains or tree planting). You would also complete this application permit for building a pool along with the additional Building Permit
  • Special Use: this form is completed to apply for the special use of a property to function as otherwise intended. (Ex. having a professional office in a residential area. Professional offices might include: an attorney's office, real estate office, medical office, counseling office, etc). 
  • Placement Permit for Accessory Structure: this form should be completed to apply for a permit to build or install an accessory structure. A placement permit should be used to install a storage shed 200 sq. feet or smaller in residential properties and 120 sq. feet or less for commercial properties. 
  • Preliminary Plat Application- this form should be completed to propose a new subdivision . This requires additional details such as the land to be considered, number of lots to be subdivided, location of utilities, easements, drainage plans, etc. 
  • Zone District Change Application-  this form should be completed to apply for a change in zoning district of property or land parcel. 
  • Application for Variance- this form should be completed to apply for an exception to codes when the configuration of a lot does not allow you to meet the standards requirements outlined in the code. Contact staff before completion of this form to schedule a review of the lot. Staff will then determine whether the lot meets extraordinary conditions that would cause a peculiar, exceptional or undue hardship on the property owner. 
  • Placement Permit for Solar Panel- this form is the first of a few steps to install and place a solar panel.