What is Illegal Dumping?
Illegal dumping is defined as discarding waste in an improper or illegal manner. It occurs when an individual or business discards their waste where it doesn't belong and rather than disposing of that waste through proper channels.
Health & Environmental Risks
- Direct contact exposure to sharp objects, medical waste, toxic substances (especially a risk for children playing in the areas)
- Habitat/breeding ground for potential disease-causing vectors
- Indirect exposure to toxic chemicals/hazardous waste
- Drinking water quality issues related to non-point pollution
- Harmful impact on native wildlife
- Offensive sights and smells
- Negative perceptions of community values
- Negative perceptions of capital investments value by potential new businesses
- Public dollars spent using city employees to clean up each mess.
- Hours of labor lost as city employees clean up instead of their regular day of maintenance.