Throughout the month of April the Solid Waste department has arranged to setup roll-offs at various locations in the city. Below is the schedule of locations and dates:
- April 2-4 at the Wool Bowl Parking Lot (1800 N. Grand)
- April 9-11 at the old airport runway across from Cielo Grande Recreation Area (1600 Block W. College)
- April 16-18 at Stiles Field (800 S. Wyoming)
- April 23-24 at the Elks Pool (400 E. Poe)
What is Illegal Dumping?
Illegal Dumping is defined as discarding waste in an improper or illegal manner. It occurs when an individual or business discards their waste where it doesn't belong and rather than disposing of that waste through proper channels.
Health & Environmental Risks
- Direct contact exposure to sharp objects, medical waste, toxic substances (especially a risk for children playing in the areas)
- Habitat/ breeding ground for potential disease causing vectors
- Indirect exposure to toxic chemicals/ hazardous waste
- Drinking water quality issues related to non-point pollution
- Harmful impact on native wildlife
- Offensive sights and smells
- Negative perceptions of community values
- Negative perceptions of capital investments value by potential new businesses
- Public dollars spent using city employees to clean-up each mess.
- Hours of labor lost as city employees clean-up instead of their regular day of maintenance.