Sandra Macias, PA Intern
The City of Roswell Public Affairs Department has enjoyed the talents of its video intern, Sandra Macias, who has produced numerous videos to bring information, education and enjoyment to our community’s citizens.
Interning during the Spring 2020 semester as part of her studies at Eastern New Mexico University-Roswell, Sandra has developed, filmed and edited a variety of videos. Some of those include:
- Code Enforcement Office video
- Utility Billing video
- Video series (four videos) featuring important messages from city leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Mayor's COVID-19 Safety Reminders
- Cooking with Critters – Spring River Zoo
- Goat Yoga – Spring River Zoo
- Behind the Scenes: Wolf Baths – Spring River Zoo
- Pilot Retirement video
- Keep Roswell Beautiful Recap video
- Ways to Clean Your City – Keep Roswell Beautiful
Sandra and PA staff working on a video
For each video, Sandra worked with staff to create a shot list, prompt questions/dialogue and location list. She maintained equipment, scheduled shooting times with outside locations, reviewed footage, and edited each video with guidance from Public Affairs staff.
Sandra shared some of her thoughts about her internship in this Q&A:
1. What is your major?
My major is Graphic Design, and I am also working on a Film Tech degree.
2. Tell us about yourself.
I am married with three boys. I like to watch horror movies and work on projects involving Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere Pro at home for my own entertainment. I am shy and not much of a social person.
3. When did you decide to seek this degree?
I decided to come back to school and get my GED. As soon as I got it, I decided to go for OTA (Occupational Therapist Assistant), but later decided to switch degrees and go for Graphic Design, and I love it. I do not regret switching degrees.
4. What have you enjoyed about this internship?
I enjoy everything I do, plus I learn more every time I do a project. Sometimes it’s a challenge when I end up with something that I haven’t done before, so it makes me look for answers that can help me and make a better project.
5. Which project was your favorite during your internship?
My favorite project, I think, was the wolf video, even though looking back I could probably have done a better job, but I had fun doing it.
6. What did you learn about your major and yourself during your internship?
I enjoyed working with all the programs from my degree, as I can imagine, explore, have an open mind, and be myself while working on the projects. I learned to look for help and ask questions during my internship when I ran into issues to allow me to solve that issue or problem. I try not to give up when I end up with a problem, and I try to seek answers on my own as much as possible before asking for help.
The Public Affairs staff thanks Sandra for her excellent work and dedication during her internship that is now winding down. We wish her much success in her future endeavors.