The Roswell Police Department Criminal Investigations Division offers the public these vehicle security and safety tips:
• Lock your vehicle door anytime you are away from your vehicle.
• In the cold of winter or heat of summer, it is tempting to start your vehicle and let it warm up or cool down. If you don’t have remote-start and you leave the keys in the vehicle, this drastically increases the chances of it being burglarized or stolen.
• Do not leave valuables inside your vehicle. Loose change, phones, purses, wallets, GPS devices, tablets, computers, gifts or other valuable items are just inviting someone to break into your vehicle. Never leave a firearm unattended in your vehicle.
• Remember GPS mounts, cellphone chargers and anything else of that nature will lead a thief to assume related items may be in your vehicle.
• Park in an area where your vehicle is visible and is as well lit as possible. A thief does not want to be seen.
• Have your keys ready to get in your car and lock the doors as soon as you enter the vehicle. Fumbling for your keys gives a thief time to approach you. Also, have your keys for your house or business ready before you get out of your locked vehicle. Again, don’t get caught off guard fumbling with keys.
• If someone does approach you and you feel you may be in danger, use the panic button on your key fob and call 911. If you are inside the vehicle, blow the horn and get away if safe and call 911.
• Above all, use common sense. If something does not seem right, go to a safe area and call 911. RPD would rather respond and prevent something from happening than to respond to a crime that has already been committed.
City of Roswell 425 N Richardson Roswell, NM 88201
Phone: 575-624-6700 | Email Us