The Roswell Fire Department reminds people of the importance of making a home fire-escape plan and practicing it with everyone in the household. Everyone needs to be prepared in advance so they know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds. Keep these tips in mind when making a home fire-escape plan:
- Make sure your plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
- The optimal plan includes smoke alarms installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home. It is best for smoke alarms to be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound. Test and clean smoke alarms once a month and replace batteries at least once a year. Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Have a designated outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone knows to meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.
The Roswell Fire Department also reminds local residents of some additional fire-safety tips:
- Use space heaters only as directed by the instructions and keep away from combustibles.
- Do not use extension cords or “power strips” to supply power to space heaters.
- Never leave space heaters or other heat-producing appliances unattended.
- Do not use ovens to heat a room or home. Leaving the door of the oven open for heat can be deadly by allowing carbon monoxide to build up in the room or home.
- Constantly attend all cooking activities.
- Beware of the dangers of using heat lamps, especially to provide warmth for pets. The animals can easily knock them over.
RFD has more fire-safety tips you can read here. Citizens are encouraged to call the Roswell Fire Marshal’s Office at 575-624-6830 with any questions about fire safety and prevention.
City of Roswell 425 N Richardson Roswell, NM 88201
Phone: 575-624-6700 | Email Us