News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/30/2016 3:25:59 PM to 10/16/2016 12:10:01 AM.

News Flash

Police Department

Posted on: September 30, 2016

[ARCHIVED] Woman leads police on slow pursuit after toddler seen hanging out driver’s window

in handcuffs

A Missouri woman led police on a low-speed procession around Roswell while she drove a pickup truck with her 3-year-old daughter climbing around inside the truck.

No serious injuries resulted from the incident that lasted about 15 minutes and maintained speeds of about 20 to 30 mph before the truck crashed through a gate and ended up in a ditch.

About 6:30 p.m. Thursday (Sept. 29) a Roswell Police Department sergeant saw the pickup on North Richardson Avenue near the intersection with Eighth Street. He noticed a young girl was hanging out the driver’s window, in danger of her falling out.

The sergeant got behind the pickup and activated his vehicle’s emergency lights and siren, but the pickup did not stop. Instead it continued to travel at or below the speed limit as it wound through the city, making turns at intersections and rolling through several stop signs and going through a red light at the intersection of Main and 19th streets. Fortunately, traffic had stopped because of the noticeable police presence behind the pickup. Other officers had joined the slow pursuit with their vehicles’ emergency equipment activated.

At about 6:42 p.m., the pickup had made its way to the municipal wastewater treatment plant at the end of East College Boulevard east of town. The driver, Nada Reynolds, 31, of Goodman, Mo., crashed the Chevrolet S-10 pickup through the gate at the plant’s entrance road. A couple minutes later, the pickup turned off the main road and fell onto a ditch, where police got Reynolds and her child out of the vehicle.

Reynolds was unconscious in the pickup when police reached the vehicle, but she regained consciousness a couple minutes later after she was taken out of the pickup. The child, who was unrestrained in the pickup during the entire incident, suffered only some bumps and bruises. Reynolds and her daughter were taken to a hospital for medical evaluation. Later, Reynolds was booked into the Chaves County Detention Center on charges of aggravated fleeing of law enforcement, reckless driving, child abuse (endangerment) and criminal damage to property. She also was charged with multiple traffic offenses. The child was placed in the custody of the State Children, Youth and Families Department.

While Reynolds was at the hospital, a search warrant for a blood draw on her was executed and blood was drawn to be tested for alcohol or other substances. A final determination of whether Reynolds was driving under the influence of something is pending the blood-test results.

Facebook Twitter Email